Nisarga Batika Junior Elementary School (Grades 1 – 4)
EXPLORE, DISCOVER, UNDERSTAND
At Nisarga Batika School, the Junior Elementary School students are encouraged to continue their exploration to individualized growth and goals. With optimized teachers to class size, the junior elementary school provides an environment to identify individual needs and make individual assessment. It is a foundation stage for every student as they move through junior elementary, senior elementary, high school, and eventually, on to college. Here the foundation for the child is set, lifelong friendships are made, and the child explores academics, culture, languages, sports, music, arts, environment and much more.
We understand that each student is different, no two students learn in the same way or at the same pace. Our junior elementary is about more than academic success – we aim to provide an integrated development with individualized education in a holistic approach, that nurtures creativity, supports curiosity and fosters leadership and teamwork. Junior elementary at Nisarga Batika provides a collaborative environment, self-learning and self-assessment opportunities for children in secure and comfortable classrooms.
Core Subject Areas
Two grade teachers for each classroom lead the integration of Social Studies and culture with other academic subjects. Through project-based learning and paced integration of technology, students are trained as today’s learners. The classrooms provide a collaborative learning environment and are highly interactive across every core subject area including but not limited to:
- Social Studies
- Foreign language (Mandarin Chinese)
The junior elementary students also benefit from a unified teaching model to explore many subject areas using the thematic approach. Activities such as music, art, performing arts, projects, and field trips are integrated with core academic subject areas. They explore, discover and understand. Students understand how subjects, skills and the world are connected and learn how things are related to family, community, and the world around them. In each grade, subjects revolve around a theme that focuses on analytical thinking, problem-solving and decision making. We believe this supports and helps young minds to sense, experience and understand the world.
Areas of Focus
In order to find space in the ever-changing world, we believe students must possess certain characteristics. Every activity is centred on developing students who possess these skills and abilities.
- Enquiry skills: Children learn to ask relevant questions, investigate and find solutions.
- Reasoning skills: Children are encouraged to give reasons for their opinions, use correct language to explain what they think and make judgements and decisions by reason and evidence.
- Creative thinking skills: Gradually, students will learn to generate and play with ideas, apply imagination to their thinking, and look for alternative explanations and ideas.
- Evaluation skills: An important part of the process of learning at this stage is for children to apply their judgement, evaluate ideas and practice being self-critical and self-connecting.
We believe that students have different learning styles and learn at a different pace. Students of junior elementary school do not have any formal tests/exams however, to cater to all kinds of learners, we implement continuous assessment system for which assessment is carried out in various forms and stages of learning.
- Small class size: With a student-teacher ratio of 15:1 throughout junior elementary school, we aim to cater to individual learning and unique abilities.
- Thematic approach: The integration of various subjects through a common theme allows students to understand the relationship between different subjects. Students interpret their learning through group or individual projects.
- Beyond academics: To support and reinforce core curriculum, junior elementary students have the opportunity to participate in sports, music, dance, art and other activities which stimulate growth while they discover their talent and above all enjoy their educational experience.
- Technology integration: Using computers, the students develop technological literacy while discovering new tools for exploring and problem-solving.